Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Speak to me, and me alone

One, as in one and only, one life to live, one at a time, power of one...

Guiness Book of Records called Joe Girard the “world’s greatest salesman.” For good reasons. He sold, on average 6 cars a day (or was it 9 a week? -- doesn't matter 'cuz it was a bunch). His secret to success was simple. He shared it with me one day when he gave me a solid gold lapel pin with just the number 1. By itself... no # sign or anything else. Just an unobtrusive 1 about 1/4 inch tall. As he pinned it on me he said, “I’m going to give this to you under one condition.”

“Surely,” said I. “What is the condition?”

“You always remember that it is always one person at a time. One conversation. One focus. One sale at a time. One person. Never forget we’re all individuals and love to be treated that way. One at a time.”

I loved that advise. In marketing and journalism of which I’ve been heavily involved, we soon begin speaking to “the great unwashed masses.” We speak of “all of you out there” or “them.” It’s dehumanizing. Stop it. Don’t do that any more.

It’s always about you. You alone.

When you write an advertisement, think of one person; a real person not an avatar you create. Talk to that person about your product or negotiating situation. Listen to what they think, what they feel, and how they react. Then write them a letter explaining how your product or service benefits him or her and only that person. Focus on the one.

Don’t worry about space. You'll later pare it down to fit the size requirements.

Begin your letter with “You...” Continue with how this will “benefit you...” and what it means for their betterment.

I won’t get into the rest of the letter psychology but will another time.

Suffice it to say never say, “all of you” or “for everyone out there.” I see national ads do that, and, it’s dumb. Don’t do it. (And I did use "dumb" precisely.)

Profiling works in certain areas. Personalization in advertising is more effective because humans share so many universal traits. As you address one person you are, in fact, speaking to nearly everyone else.

If you’re performing, do the same. Gladys Knight once stated, and I’m paraphrasing, “When I walk out on stage I scan the audience for a happy, smiling, appreciative face. I sing directly to that person. As their energy comes upon me, my energy rises and I in turn increase that person’s energy. Then it spills out to the whole audience.”

One person at a time.

Have you met a person in a reception line that was shaking your hand but looking over your shoulder to other people? Absurd isn’t it? So is speaking to “them” when you should be communicating with me.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Hi Mark,
I hope everything is going well for you. I enjoy reading your comments. I'm not sure if I gave you our blog address, so if not here it is http://katiedavidpeterson.blogspot.com/

Mark J. Stoddard said...

Hello Katie,
I finally figured out how to respond. Glad you're enjoying the comments. I'm a few weeks behind and will be commenting again soon. Hope David made it home to Basin. Did I hear that Tess is getting married???

Mark

Post a Comment