Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Blog: Playing the Airline Game

When I first began my travel operator company, a travel agent friend told me, “Don’t ever be deceived by the airlines into thinking they are your friends. Airlines are not your friends.”

Singers will likely fly and accepting that concept will help you in dealing with them. That doesn’t mean things get nasty, but you work with them much differently.

This past weekend illustrates that concept. I flew from Salt Lake City to New York City the night before the Jason Storm for a Career Marketing Workshop for singers. My Chicago flight arrived on time but due to other planes stuck at the gate deicing, we didn’t deplane for so long I missed my flight (also on American Airlines) to Newark. The gate agent assured me I’d make the flight and after running from the end of G terminal to the end of K terminal, the door had closed. The gate agent put me on the next flight, but it was going to LaGuardia. She assured me my luggage had NOT been put on the Newark flight that had just left, “It says so on the screen.” In LaGuardia their screen showed, whoops, my bags were at Newark. DELTA means Don’t Expect Luggage To Arrive… and so does American Airlines – or you’re a candidate for AA after you fly with them.

After an enjoyable workshop at NYU Friday night, the snow ended any activity on Saturday and my flight home on Sunday was canceled.

All that happened so far is just weather and people anywhere and I don’t sweat it. But now is when knowing airlines are not your friend means something.

When they correctly notified me that my Sunday flight was canceled, they also told me my new flight was Tuesday night. That means two more nights of hotel fees, food, etc. Hmmm. Not a good plan near Times Square.

On a bright and blue Sunday morning, I called to see if any airports were open. I was told nothing today and probably not Monday. That didn’t make sense. Other airports get that much snow and open the next day. So I called again and was told, again, nothing was flying. Then they used the code words, “nothing is available.” I asked if that meant the flights were booked or cancelled and the agent just gave the party line. I pushed for a Monday flight and she told me there was nothing in a rather grumpy stern voice. Ok. Tuesday morning? Found one open. I knew I had gone as far as I could go with her so I let her go.

An hour later I got online at AA.com and looked up Monday flights. Voila. Flights were showing as having various prices and one or two seats at that price. So I called the airline back and simply told them I wanted a seat on AA Flight 125 Monday morning. She was most pleasant but discovered the computer website was not accurate and that flight had been canceled. She said more flights might come online later.

So an hour later I called and told the agent I wanted AA flight 330 departing Newark at 3:05. She very pleasantly looked on the computer and, yes, that was available and did I want window or aisle.  Success!

And that is what it takes to work with airlines. 1) Don’t accept but be pleasant about it. 2) Keep digging and asking nicely. 3) If one agent doesn’t help you, call back and try another. 4) Be logical. Do your homework and know what is going on. 5) Be persistent. Doggedly persistent.

By the way, when I got to Newark, there, in the baggage office were my two bags. Guess next time I’ll listen to my wife and always pack one change of clothes with my carry-on. And, whatever you do, don’t suddenly decide that coat you wore to the airport is too bulky and pack it in your suitcase – with the keys to your car in the coat. Could have been a real problem if my bags went to Orlando while I returned to Salt Lake City.

That actually happened to me on a return flight from Paris. My big red suitcase was lost. Couldn’t be found for 7 months. I was ready to file a claim. Flew to Orlando for a convention. When I picked up my bags at the carousel I walked by the DELTA baggage office and there, sitting outside the office was my red bag. I didn’t say a word but just picked it up and headed to the convention. I didn’t file a claim and they never called me.

Some blog I’ll have to tell you about my multiple adventures with Aeroflot in the USSR and Russia.
And one last question… why, at check-in. do you give them your luggage and when they give it back to you it has become baggage?



No comments:

Post a Comment