Pages

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Carole Blum asked me to review this advertisement that she posted in Classical Singer magazine to try and figure out how to get more responses. A worthy goal! Here is my response. It applies to all advertisements regardless of the product or publication: (I noticed that when the ad is posted the color goes all weird, but, double click on the ad and you'll see the proper colors.)
"Dear Carol,
I remember you well and hope you are doing great.
Your advertisement doesn't do you justice. I like the photo, however. It attracts attention and is approachable and vulnerable (critical elements in most head shots).

But, the rest of the advertisement is all about YOU and nothing much about THEM (the customers). The key to advertising is to make the ad about them and not you.
What's in it for them?
How will they benefit?
What problem in their life is being solved?
How will contacting you make them better, richer, more famous, happier, jollier, less stressed, etc.? Whatever the benefit.

See my previous blog for more ideas.

Don't try to be like everyone else -- your ad is predictable and provides no reason for me to stop turning the pages and focus on your message."

No comments:

Post a Comment